Monday, June 18, 2012

sachs g3 performance clutch tuning



Stock Vs. Performance

Installation tutorial




So the stiffy springs went into the clutch part number 20 without too much knuckledragging and yep, not only do they work, they work better than stock, 'cause they're 15% stiffer. Testbed is my "problem child" sachs g3 w/ 505 /1A engine 48mm athena reed valve, 19mm Mikuni from a Kawasaki KH125 main jet 80 pilot 45 needle one notch from lowest, ghetto hacked biturbo pipe, stock gearing 43 mph top speed @ ~10K RPM. Frankly, it's ghetto as hell, and I know for a fact that I need new rings, but I digress. The clutch spline (No. 18) has been drilled and tapped for a set screw (w/ red loctite), plus two red loctited axle nuts tightened against each other on the end of the crankshaft (No. 12). So far, no problems with slip there. I have no tach so I'm guesstimating, but my guesstimate is engagement occurs ~1k, and the engine spins up enough power to make the clutch plates slip under extreme loads, but that's another problem most likely related to not having a shim in there. I'd say its a ~20% increase on stock takeoff engagement of around ~800 rpm. The bike takes off up grades that were previously impossible. As always, there is room for improvement. I look forward to hearing what people running superclutches or milled clutch plates have to say about their experience running these springs. If you're one of these folks that would like to replicate this experiment in yr own lab and report back with the lowdown, hit up OB1 to hook it up. Pix or it didn't happen:






1 comment: